Thursday, February 08, 2007

Fresh Water

Part of the reason I write this blog is to help me remember the things that leave me with a sense of awe, or invoke in me a sense of wonder. Nature and/or the environment has always been one of those things that has sparked a sense of wonder in me (and so it should, since it reflects the creator). I grew up in the West Kootenays in southern BC, where I was surrounded by mountains, forests, lakes, and lots of wildlife. I very much miss that environment now that I reside in southern Alberta (I'm not saying I don't like it here, it's just different).

One thing I really miss now is fresh water, and I've come to appreciate the intimate relationship between humankind and our water. The Bible contains lots of references to water or living waters. The people of the Bible understood that their well-being and survival depended greatly on having sources of water, so this was a meaningful metaphor for them. I think that we (Canadians/North Americans) sometimes take for granted the privilege we have of access to fresh clean water, and I wish we didn't (as a whole).

We've been talking about the water systems in Canada in my Geography class, so maybe that's what has sparked this, but it's scary to see what is happening to our waters. Fortunately, it's not too late for us to do something... but, I digress (for now).

Looking back, some of the moments of greatest clarity have been in the presence of water... whether it's watching the sunset over the ocean or fishing at a creek mouth or sitting in a hot spring, there is something soothing yet empowering about water.

2 Comments:

Blogger JoyO said...

Hey Lee, I've come to realize that we have some mutual friends (Kevan Wilkie being one of them). Perusing his site, I found yours and really appreciated what you had to say.

It's nice to know you have a serious side! Haven't had much opportunity to get to know you. Anyways, just wanted to say hi.

10:09 p.m.  
Blogger Melinda said...

when i was going to school in north van, i would escape to the beach some days, just to clear my head before an evening of homework.

one time i saw my friend anna there, and we had a really good conversation, and then went down to the water to pray, and the waves suddenly picked up and started washing over our feet -- it was as if all the worries we had talked about, and were then lifting up to God, were being washed away.

other times, i would just sit on the beach, dig my feet into the sand, and enjoy the sound of the water. it's such a clarifying thing for me to do, and it's one of the things i do the most in the summers when i'm home.

1:50 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home